I've always wanted to know how to vary my usual daytime curl and try something a little more glam for the holidays. Thankfully my amazing friends (and Capital Q Creative client) at TRiM Hair Salon were here to help! Not only did talented hair stylist Amy do a much needed chop, she even showed me how to achieve red carpet worthy curls!
What you'll definitely need:
Two Kevin Murphy Medium Hair Curlers
AVEDA Control Force Hair Spray
1" Curling Iron or Rod
Salon Curl Hair Clips
What you could also use:
AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
AVEDA Phomollient Styling Foam
AVEDA Light Elements Smoothing FluidAVEDA Brilliant Finishing Gloss
1. Towel dry that gorgeous mane of yours and and spray the AVEDA volumizing tonic around the hairline and everywhere at the root and parting line (approx. 8-10 sprays)
2. Take two pumps of AVEDA Phomollient foam and rake it through each side. Then one more pump, rub into your hands, and scrunch into the root.
3. Flip your hair upside down and blow try underneath to give those roots some life (tossle/shaking at the roots). Then blow dry everything else as you would normally, going off the face and smoothing out the ends with a paddle brush.
4. Then, we must find your Hollywood Glam part. Aiming for a deeper side part (pupil to the crown) but totally up to your personal preference.
5. Section the top of the head to the top of the ear and clip together on both sides, as seen below.
6. The hair at the back is really simple, we just need to curl the ends. Work in small sections, and if you have frizzy hair like I do, you have the option of smoothing out the hair from the root and then curling the ends.
7. Once the back section is done, brush that out and leave the curled ends in your Kevin murphy curler(s) to chill while you figure out the front sections.
8. Next, we must curl the triangle section (on the side with less hair) horizontally and set it with a hair clip (or bobby pin). I required three curls/hair clips with my giant mufasa mane.
9. We make a small triangle at the very front for two curlers. These are the most important, as they make the dramatic statement wave at the front. For the best hold, I'd spray first with hairspray and brush out before curling each section. Pin in place like you did in step eight.
10. Just one section left! Curl the rest of that section horizontally, just as your did on the other side. Always curling away from the face, and set those as well.
11. By now, it should look a little something like this:
12. Let the clips/pins/whatever you're using, set the curls for a bit. Once everything has cooled down, carefully take each one out one by one. It'll look a bit like the below photo.
13. Then, we must brush everything out with a large bristle brush as much as you'd like. Don't be scared about the curls being too tight, they will relax.
14. Add some high shine syrum for good measure and there you have it!
Thanks again to Amy and Sarah for this fun collab. Be sure to keep up with TRiM Hair Salon on Instagram, Facebook, and even Twitter! Plus, check out the sweet curly hair tutorial I shot and edited for them. Enjoy, and let me know if you're able to achieve those Hollywood Glam Curls this holiday season!